Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Simple Home Studio Lighting Equipment

Photo Taken at My Friend's Home Studio


It all started with a visit to my best friend's home studio. I took photographs of my lovely sons and wife. I love to create a studio at my home but I don't have the luxury of space and money. It could cost S$2000-S$4000 to set up a basic studio with 2 studio lights.

I started exploring the possibility of re-using my old flash units and purchase umbrella to produce photographs with studio lighting quality. After 3 months of trial and error with my sons, nieces and nephews as models. This is my collection of equipment for studio lighting. It cost merely S$111, excluding the 2 flashes. You can get similar flashes from second hand market at about $50 each.

This is the list of items, with the price and shop that I got them from.
  1. Photoflex 30" convertible umbrella - S$59 from Cathay Photo
  2. Flash and Umbrella Holder + Tripod - Light Stand Convertor - S$42 from Cathay Photo
  3. Kaiser Flash Shoe Adaptor - $10 from John 3:16
  4. Popular Slave Adaptor (analog) - $? (very hard to find in Singapore, please email me if you can find one)
My 2 Old Flashes:
  1. Sunpak auto 36FD Thyristor - has a function to allow half, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16 output. It's spoilt as it always output full power regardless of the setting.
  2. Metz 32MZ-3 - flash that's working fine
Camera (not shown in picture here)
  1. new Canon EOS 350D - $1300
  2. Canon 17-40mm f4.0 L lense - $880 (second hand)
These are some photos that I have taken using the above lighting equipments. I will share more tips on the backdrop and lighting in future posting.


No comments: